Chosen Themes

   Upon having to decide the visual and thematic route i'd like my project to go, I have thought long and hard about what could be sustainable and what is important to me. 
I have decided that they key themes in my project will be Greek mythology (particularly Goddesses) and astronomy. 

   By making my work head into a mythological route, it allows me to have a pre-existing basis on what to shoot as I've found that this helps spark my creativity.I have been relatively interested in mythology since I was a child, and fiction as a whole since I can remember. Having a small number of friends who all lived far away from me, the pages of my novels were a comfort as I inserted myself into worlds that were far better and more interesting than my own, and so I will be using myself in my images to not only make them more personal to me but to allow myself to feel immersed in this mythological world and take on another identity.

However, there are thousands of Greek Goddesses and they don’t all speak to me or particularly have an affect on me, and so I have chosen to focus on those with astronomical power. That is, the Goddesses that were believed to control the moon, or the night. I personally find this fascinating as I have a deep love for the science of astronomy - even taking the subject at GCSE level, yet the fictional world is so far apart from science. Upon deciding the style and themes of my images, I came to realise that there is no Goddess of the Solar System. There are Gods and Goddesses of the stars, and planets have been named after Roman Gods and Goddesses, but as the idea of a heliocentric model of the sky - that is with the planets orbiting around the sun - was so denied and thought of as ridiculous in the Ancient Greek era, there was never thought to be a Goddess of the Solar System. The closest we have is the Titaness Asteria, who had power over the fallen stars and nocturnal oracles.

Now, since my themes have emerged, I have a plan of where to go next. I aim to shoot a number of images of my interpretation of these Goddesses, which will be influenced by their stories, their role and perhaps most prominently their existing image. For example, I am interested in first shooting an image of Selene - the Goddess of the moon. Here we can see in this painting Selene and Endymion, by Sebastiano Ricci (1713), that she is wrapped in cream and blue fabrics. I aim to use similar looking fabrics within my images of her. By taking descriptions of her and by organising this all myself I therefore create an intertwining my imagination with historical influences.

Selene and Endymion, by Sebastiano Ricci (1713)


These individual images of existing goddesses will lead up to and inform what I plan to be the main piece; an image of my envisionment of the Goddess of the Solar System. In this fictional world I have already began to form, each solar system has its own Goddess. Her appearance will be influenced by that of which she controls and overlooks. In a way it’s creating a higher being for me to have in my mind as some sort of comfort of being looked after, as I am personally an atheist. Before creating such images, however, I am focusing upon research in order to make these as accurate and to be as informed as possible.



Chosen Themes Chosen Themes Reviewed by BethCorbett on November 20, 2019 Rating: 5

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.